Friday 20 May 2011

Music to Our Ears: iFrogz Earbuds

EarPollution Metal Drumz


To me, shopping for headphones is like shopping for a pair of jeans. You may try on an array of different sizes, colors, and brands, but you get a really good feel for them after you?ve already bought them.

This is why I have a couple pairs of jeans that have only been worn a handful of times plus a drawer full of barely used headphones.

So when I came across the iFrogz EarPollution headphones I was eager yet apprehensive to try them. Most of the EarPollution headphones have earbuds surrounded by earpieces made of a squishy silicone material, as opposed to the Apple earbud, which is straight plastic. I?ve never been a fan of earbuds that go inside because I?m not too comfortable shoving things in my ears. However, I have friends who swear by these kinds of headphones for both sound quality and comfort.

So, putting all preconceptions aside, I opened my package of Metal Drumz headphones and plugged them into my iPod. Each set of headphones comes with three sizes of earpieces. The first one was too big, the next too small, and then the third was just right. Well, not perfect, but a good enough fit. It took some time to get comfortable with really pushing them inside my ears to keep them secure. Now that I?ve gotten the hang of it, I can run, walk, sit, stand, even do a cartwheel (in theory, mostly because I can?t do a cartwheel) without them coming loose. They are also great for noise cancellation. You literally can?t hear a thing. If you like to run in a noisy neighborhood or would rather your treadmill neighbor at the gym not know that you're jamming to Hall and Oates, these are the perfect choice.

The Metal Drumz (if you couldn?t tell by the name) are more geared towards the rock aficionado. The treble sound is great, but there is little to no bass. Regardless, the sound is clear and crisp. They are priced reasonably at $24.99 and can be found in a whole rainbow of colors at  www.ifrogz.com.

Tess Salalac, What to Expect Production Editor


EarPollution Timbre with Mic


I have a love-hate relationship with my Apple products. For example, I love my iPhone but hate the earbuds it came with. Despite the cool built-in microphone that doubles as an instant song-skipping and phone-answering button, their poor fit always leaves my ears sore after a while, and the level of bass it produces is paltry compared to much cheaper sets I've bought in the past. To make matters worse, I can still hear outside noise through them, leaving me scratching my head over their sticker price while I crank up the volume to inadvisable levels.

So it came as a pleasant surprise when iFrogz' EarPollution Timbre earbuds landed on my desk a few weeks ago. Not only do these things have that fancy mic/button I enjoy so much, they fit comfortably and produce rich, deep bass. If I'm on a run or just sitting in the subway minding my own business, the only things I can hear are the carefully selected tunes flowing crisply into my ears. And since they're so effective at isolating noise, that means I can enjoy my at a much lower and safer volume. Eardrums saved.

While I was impressed by the sound output, I still needed to test out the mic, which is touted on the package as "high definition" -- really just a loosely defined buzzword more than a representation of the technology. But I'll bite. The mic worked perfectly well, and I came through loud and clear on a co-worker's phone as I talked into my Timbres.

If you're wondering about the name, Timbre is a clever double entendre for these 'buds. It doesn't just denote the superiority of the sound using nerdy music terminology -- the actual buds are wooden, a nice little throwback to the days when most music came pouring out through wooden cabinets in dens and basements instead of mobile devices with slick screens. In other words, these things are an essential hipster fashion piece.

Retailing at $49.99, they're worth the investment for better comfort and sound, especially compared to Apple's offering. They're still going strong after weeks of abuse.

Tyler Stewart, Everyday Health Production Editor


Source: http://www.everydayhealth.com/blogs/health-beauty-reviews/music-to-our-ears

golds gym 24 fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment