Tuesday 15 February 2011

Calling All Curly Girls

Anyone who says they?ve ?learned to love? their naturally curly hair is a liar. Learning to love implies some sort of epiphany from above. False. When you learn to control your curls, love follows.

Adoration for cranky, crazy curls comes from years of product-testing and the occasional pity party. Example: For a solid decade, I never left a hair salon without tears rolling down my face. Stupid, maybe, but middle school nicknames like Frizzy Lizzy didn?t make it easy to embrace the bouffant styles hairdressers just loved to try on me.

I?ve been through the typical phases every curly-haired girl experiences ? from straight-up frizz ball to pony tail every day of the week to a serious flat-iron fetish. These curl battles came from a lack of control: I never knew how my hair would twist or bend, how big it?d be, how short it?d be, etc.

The only way to gain control? Products.

Peter Lamas Avocado Olive Ultra Smoothing products are specifically made for women with ?frizzy, unruly, coarse hair.? First thought? Poor, pitiful Peter. Don?t you know you?ve targeted the toughest hair audience in the world? Good luck.

We?ll start with smell. The shampoo and conditioner do not smell like avocados and olive oil ? they smell like a cotton shirt would smell if you let it air dry in the sun next to a garden. Very natural with floral hints. The best part is that it doesn?t go away. The smell lingers till your next shower. Unheard of, I know, but true
? I shoved my curls in coworkers? faces so they could attest.

Okay, Pete ? what did your vegan and paraben-free creations do to my curls? I shampooed like I normally do then left the conditioner in for a few minutes while I scrubbed down the rest of my body. Then I rinsed, hopped out of the shower, and dried with a diffuser.

My hair was calmer. It was smoother. It hung a little differently ? but not in a heavy, weighed-down way. It seemed to be coated with some kind of extra goodness that let my ringlets curl in unison. Turns out ? this extra goodness is a mix of avocado, which calms curls, and olive oil, which coats them with shine.

An hour later, I smelled a familiar fresh scent coming from the bathroom. Never before has a shampoo evoked raging jealousy in my very core, but this one did. How dare my roommate sample my treasure! Not that I?m bitter or anything, but that girl has straight hair, so she was wasting the curl-benefits!

Verdict from a non-curly girl: She loved it. Not even reading the bottle, she told me that night how her hair was less frizzy, and that it dried so easily that she didn?t have to do her normal flat-iron hair routine. (Then I told her she had to buy her own.)

I?ve used the Avocado Olive Ultra Smoothing duo every day for the past few weeks, and I have only two complaints:

1. When I'm all sudsy in the shower, I accidentally grab and squirt out the Ultra Smoothing Conditioner first every time because "smoothing" looks like "shampoo." Refusing to waste it, I then battle to get it back in the bottle for 5 minutes. That's annoying.

2. My real issue though: It?s $18 a bottle. Therefore, even if it is available at the Duane Reade conveniently located below my apartment, I may not be able to afford it in the long run.

But if you have curls and the funds, try it out. Peter Lamas so generously gave me a little more control over my curls, and I feel it's my Frizzy Lizzy duty to share the love.

Elizabeth Regalia, Everyday Health Production Editor

Source: http://www.everydayhealth.com/blogs/health-beauty-reviews/calling-all-curlyhaired-girls

24 hours fitness kinect fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment